Name of establishment: Harvest Restaurant
Job Location: New Zealand/Marlborough/Blenheim
We are looking for a: Sommelier f/m/d
Description of the position:
Harvest Restaurant prides itself on creating the food & wine destination in Marlborough, sitting in 16 acres of gardens and vineyards within The Marlborough, a boutique luxury hotel, surrounded by NZ’s largest and world-renowned Marlborough vineyards it is totally unique.
Being the only restaurant/hotel in the vineyards of Marlborough we provide a beautiful, serene setting for our guests and a lovely environment to work
Our food is designed around the seasons, growing on-site and deriving from the region so that we can be as sustainable as possible. Our front-of-house team is an energetic group that strives to create memorable experiences for each of our guests. It is a team that is excited by the evolving culinary journey we have created and one that they enjoy taking our guests on.
We are seeking to have someone join us that has proven previous experience as a Sommelier with senior wait staff skills and preferably with some management skills such as:
– To work with the Exec & Head Chef, GM, and team leaders to understand the menu, company ethos, and customer expectations, comments, and ability to handle any questions and complaints to satisfy the customer promptly
– Work in a safe and hygienic manner
– Focus on guests to ensure a warm welcome and enjoyable experience
– Manage the Wine & Beverage list, Costings, Stock, and Display and ensure all product and equipment is ready and operational for each service
– Thorough understanding of wines and ability to provide guests with descriptions of varietals, tastings notes, and recommendations as to certain styles guests may require
– Good knowledge of NZ wines and regions
– Full understanding of our wine list and ability to provide descriptions and recommend pairing for food selections
– Understanding of beverage offerings and the ability to make items and teach the team the basics of cocktails/beverage list and appropriate making and service of these
– Understand the menu and ability to describe it to guests
– Ability to approach guests with recommendations of food and beverages
– Conduct regular wine & beverage training with the team
– Service of food and beverages to patrons and answer questions about menu items and suggestions as to beverages to accompany
– Regularly look for appropriate wines, and beverages to be added to our list
– Deal with wine and beverage distributors regarding new selections, promos, tastings, and training
– Update wine and beverage lists as required ensuring correct pricing and new menus are printed when updated
– Discuss with Management new strategies to increase customer purchases of wine and beverages and implement them as agreed
– Ensure that customers’ experience is paramount and that they enjoy a pleasant and knowledgeable food and wine experience
– Actively promote and participate in training and development programs and maximize opportunities for additional sales of food and beverag when appropriate
– Ensure FOH is set up as per company standards and all equipment product in place prior to service
– Perform and attend team briefings to receive updates on any promotions, wine/beverage pairings, recommendations or other items to enhance guest experience and provide opportunities for up sale where appropriate
– Take guest orders, assist other team members and ensure general flow of service is seamless, working closely with Team Leaders, Restaurant Manager
– Learn and operate of POS system for customer ordering, payment and supplier ordering and delivery
– Update wine pricing in POS system to ensure pricing is always correct and margins as per company standards and update guest wine list as and when product and pricing changes
– Cash up/closing procedures through POS
– Daily/Weekly/Monthly reporting with Exec, Head Chef, GM
– Work as a Team Leader of shift as and when required, performing briefings, ensuring a good flow of service and that the guest experience is memorable
– Work with the whole of the FOH and kitchen team in a harmonious, courteous and responsible manner to ensure communication and flow of service is clearly communicated, and well-paced, helping other team members where required so that our guest’s experience is warm and professional and memorable
– Being a food & wine destination we are looking for someone that not only exudes friendly knowledgeable wait skills but also someone who has strong wine and beverage knowledge and ideally bar experience. Whilst Wine is our focus we also offer cocktails.
We are very much about the whole customer experience from the moment they book right through to the personal thank you as they leave. It’s important that our team can build a rapport/relationship with our guests whether they are first-timers or our regulars, each and everyone needs to leave feeling that their experience with us was memorable.
This person we seek must be a team player with high energy, a friendly manner, common sense, and a sense of humor.
PLEASE, DO NOT APPLY IF YOU DON’T MEET THE REQUIREMENTS MENTIONED, THANK YOU!
Contract type: Full time
Work permit: Help to obtain work visa
Accommodation: Temporarily provided
Wine list (sample): click
Contact Name: Mrs. Angela Dillon at [email protected]
Please, mention Zeitgeist Sommelier-jobs.com when applying for this role, thank you!