Glass recycling facts for the UK on https://lnkd.in/ezBm3Pj :
– It takes a tonne of glass to make around 4000 bottles or jars.
– The average UK household uses 500 glass bottles and jars every year.
– Glass is 100% recyclable and can be reused over and over again, without losing quality.
– The UK recycles around 50% of its glass.
– While countries such as Finland and Switzerland recycle more than 90% of theirs.
– Glass does not decompose and so it puts a great strain on landfills.
– More than 28 billion glass bottles and jars end up in landfills every year, which is the equivalent to the Empire State Building filling up every 3 weeks.
– Milk bottles are used an average of 13 times before being recycled in the UK.
– It takes less energy to recycle glass than it does to make new glass from raw materials.
– Every tonne of glass recycled saves 246 kg of CO2 emissions.
– Clear glass bottles contain around 25% recycled glass, whereas green bottles contain as much as 90% recycled glass.
– The UK has more than 50,000 bottle banks, and each bank is capable of holding 3,000 bottles, yet 5 out of every 6 glass bottles are thrown away.
Read on: click
Dominik Kozlik e.U.
4020 Linz, Austria